How to Report
1-800-252-5400 (OR 911 IF IMMINENT DANGER) or
V. EFFECTS OF ABUSE AND NEGLECT
Child abuse and neglect exacts an enormous toll on society.
Stress, trauma and persistent fear at an early age can change the biology of the brain and cause children to have lifelong mental, psychological and social problems:
Abused Children are:
- Poor initiative in school.
- Language and other developmental delays.
- A disproportionate amount of incompetence and failure.
- Inappropriate behavior in peer and adult relationships.
Persons who experienced childhood abuse and neglect have:
- 6 Times more likely to commit suicide
- 24 Times more likely to commit sexual assaults
- 74 Times more likely to commit crimes against others
- 50 Times more likely to abuse alcohol or drugs
- 53% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile
- 38% more likely to be arrested as an adult
- 6 Times more likely to abuse their own children, perpetuating the cycle of violence
- 4 to 12-fold increased risk for the leading causes of death in adults—cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes due to high risk coping behaviors such as alcohol, drug abuse, smoking and over-eating.
Click here to return to the top of the page
TexProtects is a is a component fund of The Dallas Foundation, and therefore is entitled to all the benefits from the Foundation's tax-exempt status. Federal Tax ID 75-2890371.
© Copyright 2011 TexProtects
Facebook | Twitter